As its name suggests, a garage door opener is used to open or close a garage door. It comes in different types and shapes, with each type bringing you a different set of functions and features. It’s a motorized device that closes and opens the garage door using switches installed on the garage wall. The latest garage door opener models come with a handheld remote control that allows users to remotely operate the garage door. A garage door with smart features is known as a smart garage door opener. In this blog post, we are going to talk about everything garage door opener related. So keep reading to learn the maximum.
- Quick Comparison
- Top Best Garage Door Openers Your Money Can Buy
- Genie Excelerator 1-HP Screw-Drive Garage Door Opener
- What is a Garage Door Opener?
- Different Types of Garage Door Openers
- Things to Consider When Opting for a Garage Door Opener
- How to Choose a Garage Door Opener
- Consider the Drive Options
- Screw Drive – the Best Option if Noise is an Issue for You
- Belt Drive for Noiseless Operations
- Direct and Jackshaft Drive for dependable and quiet operations
- Consider the Horsepower Options
- FAQs Garage Door Opener
- The Bottom Line
Top Best Garage Door Openers Your Money Can Buy
The market is full of many manufacturers producing garage door openers. To make it easier for you to choose the right garage door opener matching your requirements, we have made a list of the top best quiet garage door openers that are a good value for your money.
Chamberlain Group B1381 Belt Drive Smart Garage Door Opener
This Chamberlain Group B1381 Belt Drive Smart Garage Door Opener offers both the security and convenience you’re searching for. This opener is lightweight yet sturdy.
3100 LED Lighting Lumens
The corner-to-corner lighting provided by Chamberlain allows you to see your garage in a new kind of light. The 3,100 LED lighting lumens provide you with the ability to see all the corners and spaces of your garage. It’s verified by a trusted, independent lab study.
Max Lift Power System
It comes equipped with anti-vibration technology and offers the highest lifting power compared to the 1 ¼ power class. It works smoothly in excessive cold, humidity, and heat.
Steel-reinforced belt drive for smooth, quiet, and strong performance is suitable for garages with a living space located above them.
WiFi enabled for myQ
With myQ feature, users can close or open their garage door anytime, anywhere, receive notifications in real-time when it is left open, and allow up to 3 other people to control their door.
The battery backup feature will keep your opener working even when the electricity is out. So, users can close/open their garage door during the power outage, thanks to the built-in battery backup.
- 3100 LED Lighting Lumens
- Max Lift Power System
- Ultra Quiet
- WiFi enabled for myQ
- Battery Back-Up
- For WiFi Feature, you would pay a subscription fee for Alexa or Google integration
Chamberlain 1/2 HP Chain Drive Smart Garage Door Opener
Buying an affordable garage door opener doesn’t mean that you won’t get the right product. If noise isn’t an issue for you and you’re on a tight budget, this chain drive opener is an ideal choice for you. It’s a small yet mighty opener that will work smoothly for years to come. Its affordable price tag attracts the most. So anyone with a low budget can consider it for their garage door.
Chamberlain C205 provides you with a huge ½ HP lifting power, which is quite impressive under this price tag. This type of horsepower works best with heavy-duty chain-drive systems and is enough to lift most garage door models measuring 7 feet in length. Another feature that sets it apart from the rest is that it comes preloaded with a Posilock antitheft system that will provide you with added security and safety, keeping potential intruders at bay. Even though it’s a chain drive door opener, the output of sound during the operation is way better than other options of its league. It is fully compatible with Chamberlain’s popular MyQ door hub. So, it’s an ideal choice for those who want to monitor their garage remotely.
- Posi-lock anti-theft protection
- Effective MED lift power system
- Built-in MyQ technology
- Security+2.0 100 billion code encryption
- Although it has all the cutting-edge features considered vital for the security and safety of your home, some areas could have been improved. However, it is a decent package for most homeowners
Genie SilentMax 750 3/4 HP Opener
This Genie SilentMax 750 belt drive opener is known for its smooth and quiet operations. It’s a great choice for those who are after a garage door opener that won’t shake or rattle your house every time anyone exists or enters the garage. This opener won’t disappoint you in terms of power. It has a power equivalent of 3/4 horsepower which is enough to easily and quickly lift the doors weighing up to 500 pounds. This model is designed to handle a garage door measuring 7 feet in length. However, you can extend it to 8 feet with the help of an extension kit. There’s no option for a door measuring 10-foot in length.
It’s an ultra-quiet option for garages that are close to living spaces. Unlike other garage door openers available out there, this model requires less maintenance, meaning it will keep working for years to come without any problem. It features a DC-powered motor that operates super smoothly and offers soft starts and stops, making it an ultra-quiet garage door opener.
- Ultra quiet operations
- Easy to install
- Powerful DC motor
- You may consider other advanced choices available at this price tag.
Chamberlain C870 Garage Door Opener
If forgetting to close a garage door is your problem, this Chamberlain C870 garage door opener is a good fit for you. This well-equipped and powerful opener has built-in WiFi and can alert you when the door closes, opens, or is left open accidentally. Thanks to the Chamberlain myQ app, now anyone can monitor their garage door anytime, anywhere. However, they will need to buy and fix a spate hub to turn this into reality.
This garage door opener removes the need to buy a separate hub, as it comes preloaded with built-in WiFi. After installing this opener, follow the company’s instructions to connect it to the internet connection, and then download the Chamberlain myQ app for the instant monitoring of your garage door. The presence of MyQ technology and Wi-Fi capability makes it suitable for a number of smart home systems. Users can control their garage doors with Nest, Google Home, IFTTT, Wink, Xfinity Home, and many others. Note; myQ app will charge a subscription fee in exchange for its services. In addition to this garage door opener’s brilliance and Wi-Fi connectivity, many find it to be reliable and astonishingly quiet. The heavy-duty chain and smooth action make the closing and opening process efficient and quick.
- Smart garage door through myQ app
- 1.25 HPS max lift power system
- Durable chain drive
- Remote range up to 1,500 feet
- A handful of users are complaining about its motor. However, it’s not necessary that you will experience the same.
LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series 8500 Jackshaft Operator
With this LiftMaster Jackshaft garage door opener, you can save overhead space, as it’s mounted to the side of the garage door and does an amazing job there. Also known as the best Jackshaft garage door opener, the LiftMaster 8500 Elite opener is an ideal choice from all angles.
It’s an ideal choice for people who use their garage as a man-cave or want more space above their garage door for storing things. Another thing that makes it stand out is that it comes with a garage door deadbolt, which users can use to set their garage door to lock automatically. The added security features make it tougher for anyone to physically pry open the door.
Since the vibration and noise of the opener are fixed to the exterior of your garage’s wall rather than the ceiling, it offers the quietest and most secure door operations. However, one thing that is considered the biggest downside of this opener is that its connection to the myQ app is unreliable, and users may have trouble communicating with their smart devices. It features Security+ 2.0, meaning with every click a new security code will be sent to the door opener to make sure it’s only used by the intended person. The motion detector will activate the opener’s lights to make it easy for you to enter your home without hitting the things stored in the garage. So users will stay safe with the protector system provided by the company. It projects a straight light bean on the garage door opener to prevent it from shutting if anyone or anything interrupts it. It will also go a long way toward ensuring the door isn’t forced open with the power lock deadbolt.
- Sleek design mounts on the wall and works perfect for garages with narrow celling space
- Durable and powerful p3 motor
- Equipped with myQ and security 2.0
- Ultra quiet operation
- Not ideal for heavy, commercial garage doors
Ryobi Ultra-Quiet GD 201 Door Opener
If your garage serves as your hangout spot or a workshop, you might go for an opener with more advanced accessories and features. The Ryobi GD201 has edge over its competitors for having many add-ons to make garage door operations more comfortable and lasting. The belt-drive opener provides you with a lot of lifting power with 2 horsepower and works super quietly. It is fully compatible with a variety of different accessories provided by Ryobi, such as an extension cord reel, a Bluetooth speaker, and a fan.
There are seven ports that users can use for the provided accessories, making it an ideal choice for those who use their garage door as a hangout spot or a workshop to test their DIY skills on the weekend. According to many homeowners, an extension cord reel is a helpful tool for all types of jobs in and around the garage. The fan will also come in handy on a hot day.
This garage door opener model has a battery backup, which can be powered by Ryobi interchangeable batteries. The battery is sold separately. So you can buy one for your opener or use the one you have for other Ryobi tools, depending on your preferences. This door opener also supports Wi-Fi connectivity. There’s not any complex process you’ll need to go through; all you need is to install a small relay hub (which comes inside the box) during the setup process. After you’ve installed the rely hub, you can control and monitor the opener through the Ryobi app on your smartphone. However, the majority of people using it seem to be unsatisfied with its smart functionality and complain about the app.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Fully compatible with a variety of different accessories
- Smart operation through Ryobi app
- Ryobi interchangeable batteries
- Not ideal for heavy, commercial garage doors
Genie Excelerator 1-HP Screw-Drive Garage Door Opener
When it comes to garage door openers built on a screw-drive mechanism, the Genie Excelerator 1HP screw drive opener seems to be the best choice. It has a proprietary direct screw drive, which offers exceptional power for long-term durability and super-fast opening, even for the doors designed for commercial doors.
The Genie Excelerator is run by a 1HP DC motor that can quietly and smoothly open the garage door measuring 8 feet in length. It has a reinforced, enclosed C-channel rail system, a wireless best garage door keypad, 2 pre-programming remotes, and a multi-function wall console with a light control button and vacation lock. It has fewer moving parts, and therefore, requires less maintenance. Moreover, the company offers a lifetime warranty for this product, which is a great plus. It also has the best garage door opener keypad to offer the best performance.
- Built on a screw-drive mechanism
- 1HP DC motor for improved performance
- Wireless best garage door keypad
- Requires less maintenance
- You may consider other advanced choices available at this price tag.
What is a Garage Door Opener?
As already stated above, a garage door is a motorized device used to operate a garage door from a short distance. It comes in different models and types to facilitate a different set of needs and requirements. The presence of advanced features makes it a smart garage door opener. The ability to connect to the internet is one of the main highlights of a smart garage door opener. You can control it from anywhere, anytime. All this happens through an application on a smartphone. In terms of security and privacy, smart garage door openers have edger over conventional garage door openers. If you are using LED light bulbs for your garage door opener, we suggest using standard best light bulbs for the garage door openers as they don’t intercept the signals initiated through the radio remote control.
Different Types of Garage Door Openers
If you’re out for buying a new opener for your garage door, it’s important that you first improve your knowledge about different types of garage door openers. Your garage door will determine what type of door opener you need. You may also consult with a professional garage door repair expert to get the best piece of advice. It will help you choose the right type for your garage door. The following are the most common types that are being used largely all over the world.
Chain Drive Opener
Chain drive openers employ a chain linking the trolley with the motor. Such openers are clunky and loud, thanks to the vibration and metal-to-metal contact. However, they are affordable in comparison to other garage door openers available out there.
Screw Drive Garage Door Opener
Garage door openers are modeled on screw-drive systems and ride on a steel rod as the motor rotates the rod. It’s probably one of the noisiest garage door openers. Since they are not comprised of many parts, they are easy to maintain.
Belt Drive Garage Door Opener
Belt drive openers employ a rubber belt instead of a chain. This is why they are quieter than other openers. Besides, they also work smoothly and effortlessly.
Jackshaft drive opener uses a 24v DC motor and is installed on the door’s side. The motor drives the cable and pulleys that raise the door and turn the torsion bar. They are designed especially for large doors and don’t use any ceiling space for overhead storage. They are an ideal choice for garages with low or high ceilings. However, they cost more than other types of garage door openers.
DC-Powered garage door openers are lighter, faster, smoother operating, smaller, quieter, and more efficient than AC-powered garage door openers. Many feature variable speeds, allowing soft-stop and soft-start technology.
Smart Garage Door Opener
The first wireless opener was developed and invented by two American inventors at the same time, one in Washington and the other in Illinois state. Surprisingly, they were completely unknown to each other. The first opener was simple and comprised of a simple receiver and transmitter (the remote) which controlled the opening/closing mechanism.
This Review article attracts organic traffic for the following keywords: best direct openers, best keypad garage door opener, best-led light bulb for garage door opener, best side mount garage door opener, best bulb for garage door opener, best garage door opener 2021, and more.
Things to Consider When Opting for a Garage Door Opener
As stated above, garage doors come in different types and shapes, with each type bringing you a different set of functions and features. So choosing the right garage door opener may be a little hectic job, as you may be bewildered by the many different options available out there. There’re three types of door openers; chain drive, screw drive, and belt drive, with each type having its pros and cons. The market is full of the latest garage door openers. You can pick any type based on your requirements. To see which specific type best suits your needs, you should first identify your requirements. There’re some factors to assess when choosing a door opener, including being economical, quiet and low maintenance. You should look for a quiet door opener if you reside above the garage, or you may want to buy a model that requires less maintenance if you aren’t a DIY person.
The motor is the main feature of a garage door opener. So, it should be given special attention when buying a new door opener. The larger the motor the longer it’ll last, as it doesn’t have to perform hard. So your door opener’s motor should be at least 1-2 horsepower units for improved longevity.
Nowadays, garage door openers with advanced safety features are considered the best. People are more concerned about the safety of their properties. They want to keep potential intruders at bay, doing anything possible in their capacity to strengthen their home’s security.
How to Choose a Garage Door Opener
With a huge range of garage door openers available in the market, one may have trouble choosing the right opener for them. The main thing that you need to give special attention to is the drive type, which describes the actual belt, chain, or other hardware that lifts and moves the door. In some situations, the motor capacity should also be given some thought, but usually in industrial or commercial settings. Whether you’re looking for a door opener for your home garage or a commercial property, you can easily choose the best type of opener that serves your needs in the best way. Reading best garage door opener reviews may also be of big help to you. if you are looking for affordable models, look for the best garage door opener under 200 or 300, depending on your budget.
Consider the Drive Options
Chain drive openers are considered the best and most popular openers. This is because they are usually less in price in comparison to other garage door opener types. Chain drive openers use a metal chain on the sprocket to lower or lift the door. They are affordable and durable compared to other garage door opener types. However, they are noisy, which may be problematic for many.
- A chain drive opener is perfect for heavy garage doors, including one-piece wood doors, oversized doors, and heavily insulated or wind-rated doors.
- If you have a garage located on the opposite side of your home, then noise won’t be an issue for you.
- Best silent garage door openers come with chain separators, which keep the chain from hitting the track, ultimately helping reduce the noise of the chain drive.
Screw Drive – the Best Option if Noise is an Issue for You
Garage door openers based on a screw-drive mechanism use a long metal rod that is threaded like a screw to open and close a garage door. Since such garage door models have fewer moving parts, they can be an ideal option for you if you’re looking for a door opener that produces less noise.
- If noise is a problem for you, screw drive openers may be the best choice you can go with. Though they are not as quiet as direct or belt drives, they are a good choice in comparison to chain drives.
- Garage door openers built on the screw-drive system require higher maintenance compared to other types available in the market. The threaded metal rod interlocks with a drive section using plastic teeth to get a grip of the threading. Without regular and proper lubrication, the rod can deteriorate on the teeth and can eventually break them. So, it’s highly advised that you must lubricate all the hardware regularly to keep potential issues at bay.
- You should also give thought to the type of door you have. For larger, heavy one-piece wood doors, the extra strain or weight can wear down the teeth pretty quickly. But if you have a single-car garage door made of a thinner material, screw drive garage doors seem to be the best choice.
- Screw drive garage doors work faster than other models available out there. The newest models can operate at 10-inch to 12-inch per second as compared to other drive options that operate at 6-inch to 8-inch.
Belt Drive for Noiseless Operations
Garage door openers built on the belt drive mechanism use a rubber-like belt on the cog to close and open the garage doors. Such garage door openers don’t have any banging, or loud metal moving parts. So as a result, they don’t produce any weird, nasty sounds when moving upward or downward.
- Be sure to look at your garage door type. If it makes a lot of weird sounds on its track when functioning, then the lower capacity of a belt opener may be moot.
- Give some attention to the current belt drive openers. AC belt drive openers start and stop with full power, which may cause the jerking of the door and lead to weird sounds despite the relative silence of the drive.
- DC belt drive openers offer soft stops and starts, which decrease the noise even more, as well as restrict wear and tear.
Direct and Jackshaft Drive for dependable and quiet operations
Consider garage door openers built on either direct-drive or jackshaft drive mechanism. They are dependable and produce less sound in comparison to all other options available out there. Though they are not that common among the people, now they are getting ground, as they come with additional options you can’t find with other models.
- Jackshaft drive garage door openers are fixed to the front side or wall of the garage. They have no overhead parts and use cables fixed firmly to the garage door alongside a rolling torsion bar and pulleys to lower and lift the garage door. Many models built on this computerized mechanism even have an automated deadbolt, which locks automatically when the door closes for best garage door security and safety. Thanks to the computerization and compact nature, jackshaft drive openers are one of the most expensive garage door openers available out there. The presence of a cable mechanism means that they only work on sectional, best-rated garage doors.
- Direct-drive garage door openers still feature an overhead rail along with a chain. However, the actual motor works along the track with the garage door connected to the motor through J-arm. The only moving part is the motor, and therefore, such models come with extremely good lifetime warranties. They are also noiseless, as the motor moves instead of a chain. They are a little pricy compared to the belt drive garage door openers.
Consider the Horsepower Options
- If you have a standard door, consider 1/2-HP garage door opener models. 1/2-HP is considered the most common motor speed, which works best for most garage doors. Although they work seamlessly with most garage doors, one-piece or well-insulated garage doors can put extra weight and strong on such motors.
- If you’ve got a one-piece, wooden garage door, consider going with a garage door opener with 3/4-HP horsepower. The additional power will make the garage door operations a lot easier. But this increase in power comes with a high price tag. The extra horsepower will not only increase the life of the motor but will also offer smoother options with little to no wear. Door types that may benefit from the extra power include double car garages, one-piece wooden garage doors, or doors with wind load ratings and heavy insulation.
- Consider garage door openers with a 1-HP capacity for industrial or oversized garage doors. 1 HP motors offer the highest level of power and efficiency. These motors are suitable for the heaviest garage doors, industrial or commercial doors, and oversized doors. When it comes to a sectioned, standard garage door, the additional power might prove needless for your needs.
Prefer DC motors over AC Motors. Apart from the horsepower capacity of the motor, the current is another thing you should give special attention to when opting for a garage door opener. Direct current (DC) motors are common on belt drives. However, many manufacturers have started using them for other drive types. DC motors are usually more expensive, but they provide an added advantage of soft starts and stops. It means that DC-powered motors begin a steady lift, stopping on the door. This contributes to noiseless operations. This is why the majority of people prefer to have an opener with a DC-powered motor.
FAQs Garage Door Opener
The Bottom Line
You may use any of the aforementioned garage door openers that best match your requirements. Whatever opener you choose for your garage door, make sure it requires less maintenance and is easy to install. You may also consult with a garage door expert in your area to get the best piece of advice. There’s no use to buy a product that is incapable of bringing you exactly what you’re looking for. However, we suggest that you go with the best side mount garage door opener with more security features and Wi-Fi connectivity. It has been observed that intruders avoid breaking into a home with a smart garage door opener.